We have someone VERY special to celebrate tomorrow, you all know her, she’s HUGE, she get’s around, she can be moody at times but she’s downright amazing and oh SO BEAUTIFUL … do you know who I’m talking about?! That’s right, good ‘ol Mother Earth!!
It’s a day where we take some time to recognize and APPRECIATE our planet but I have a burning question here … why is Earth Day limited to only ONE day?! We should be doing simple things EVERY day to help out Mother Earth, it’s OUR home after all. So I decided to come up with a list of ways we can take care of our lovely planet, one step at a time! So, in no particular order and without further ado, here they are!
1. Say no to bags: Grocery bags that is … lol!! Bring reusable bags when grocery shopping, not only will it save you a bit of money but you’re also doing your part to reduce your collection of those damn plastic bags!!
2. Pack your own water bottle: They’re a fashion statement don’t you know?! They complete the whole “Athleisure” ensemble. Oh! And, this goes for coffee mugs too – paper cups are so last year.
3. Shut the lights off and shower together: Then wait 9 months for baby to arrive … Lol
4. Think twice before you flush: If it’s brown, flush it down. If it’s yellow, let it mellow.
5. Switch up your diet: Skip the beef. Try tofu, grilled avocado, or a sustainable local fish option instead … or, better yet, try going plant-based even if it’s just for one day a week!! Also, find a local egg farmer and ditch the factory eggs!!
6. Shop local and in season: Nature’s Fare is my local fave for produce! Or, plant your OWN garden, there’s just something about getting all hot and heavy in the dirt … what? It get’s hot here in the Okanagan and shovels are heavy, ok?
7. Don’t just stop and smell the flowers, plant them too: Planting flowers not only makes your space look beautiful but you’ll also help the bees by spreading some seeds … lol … get your mind out of the gutter already.
8. Cut the D: That’s D as in dairy, cut it out, get rid of it … try almond milk as a replacement and give Earth Balance butter a try!
9. Save the bats: Yes, you read that right, bats are important too!! Did you know that they eat mosquitoes?? I rest my case.
10. Deals aren’t ALWAYS a good thing: Instead of always looking for a ‘good deal’ try to think about QUALITY vs QUANTITY and consider how often your ‘old clothes’ hit the landfill. AND, if you feel the need to clean out your closet, donate your old clothes to a consignment store! Buying consignment clothes for babies and children is a great idea considering how quickly they grow out of them! That reminds me, there’s an amazing company that upcycles old clothes to make new baby clothes, they’re called Nudnik!! Some of you may have seen my Instagram story of Leo in a pair of their pants the other week. Anyways, I think this is SUCH a great concept!
11. Never stop learning: You know that saying “You learn something new every day”? Well, it’s true, we are constantly learning and growing so expand your wealth of knowledge and challenge yourself to watch a documentary or a read a new book!
12. Power down the technology: Set aside one day a week or a certain block of time on the weekend that you shut off all devices … phone, computer, TV (are you panicking yet?! lol) … and just chill like the good old days.
And last but CERTAINLY not least …
13. Be nice: Yup. That’s it, that’s all just be nice. Nice to our planet, nice to animals, nice to your family and friends. If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all … (thanks, Thumper!) …
What are some of your favourite things to do to show your gratitude for our lovely Mother Earth?? Make sure to share your ideas below!
HAPPY (early) EARTH DAY!!