Whelp. As most of you know (from my multiple emotional insta stories … sorry guys … LOL!!) that we have packed up our house, it’s now in the possession of the lucky new owners and we are staying in Justin’s mom and dad’s condo for a bit until we can move into our home!!
While we are moving within the same city we didn’t necessarily have to be as planned out as MOST moves (with the moving trucks, etc.) … BUT we have a 3 week period in between moving into our new home so we had to pack as if we were going on a 3-week vacation … we have clothes and necessities stuffed in our luggage and that’s about it!!! It’s going to be interesting, to say the least … lol!
As I was packing up our home and getting ready for the big move, I thought to myself that it would be fun and probably super helpful for some of you for me to share my top 10 tips to packing up your home so I’ve gone ahead and listed them for you below!! Let’s dig into them!! …
1. Purge as you pack: This is so important to do to make sure you’re not packing useless junk!! Also, pack your junk drawers FIRST, I made the mistake of doing mine last this time around and realized that I had a bunch of random stuff, and boxes that that stuff belonged in had alread been packed up and moved!! Oh and label freakin everything so you know exactly what room it needs to go in, that makes unpacking a BREEZE!
2. Stock up on newspapers and boxes: Before you even have to start packing ANYTHING, the moment you know you have to pack start saving newspapers and boxes to save money!! The newspapers can be used to wrap fragile items and can be recycled after!
3. Don’t pack your blankets and towels: Before I start using paper or bubble wrap – I run around the house and use every throw blanket, pillows, towels, etc. for “padding” on delicate items! It saves plastic, paper, money, and packing space! I also use face clothes and dish clothes in between plates and duvets and blankets to wrap mirrors and art!
4. Garbage bags are your best friend: Yup, that’s right!! Make sure to grab some big durable garbage bags and load these bad boys up with all of your clothes and shoes!! Plus, you can use them to purge while you’re at it … just don’t get the bags mixed up! LOL!!
5. Don’t leave it to the last minute: Try to pack ALMOST everything a few weeks prior to moving, only leave 2 glasses, 2 items of cutlery, 2 bowls and pack EVERYTHING else … you likely won’t want to be cooking in your home so leave the absolute BARE minimum to throw in a random box at the last minute! AND don’t grocery shop for the last 10 days. I found I got REALLY creative with cooking and made some of my best meals when we only had rations in the house! Which made for very little wastage and very little thrown out!
6. Pack fragile items together: As much as possible try to limit ALL of your fragile items into a FEW BOXES – especially if you’re hiring a moving company, I hired the best Movers Boston has to offer and I still make sure I move my own breakables …. don’t throw fragile items here there and everywhere … anything really special just bring with you in the car.
7. Make a to-do list: Go around the house and make a TO DO LIST of what needs to be done – fix this cupboard handle – fix this paint chip – fix these holes so that you have everything laid out so that when you’re at the store you know exactly what you need … and you can plan and organize how and WHEN you are going to do everything … it will just help you clear your mind a bit.
8. Hire a cleaning company: Do yourself a favour and hire professional cleaners on the LAST DAY! I don’t know what I would have done without Melissa’s help … she really went the extra mile to make sure our house was in tip top shape for the new homeowners. You’d be surprised at how inexpensive this is and it saves you probably close to two days of cleaning. If you don’t want to do this … start cleaning EARLY … do little by little each week … do your cupboards, and fixes so that you only need to do one final wipe down and vacuum the day you’re moving out( I would use the best robot vacuum cleaner in this case ). Or, round up your family to help too like I did!! Lol!! Thanks again everyone!! You know who you are!!
9. HAVE FUN: I can’t stress this one enough. Blast music, order pizza and crack open a bottle of vino!
10. Don’t stress: Remember this is a tense time for everyone… take a deep breath and let things go that would normally drive you crazy!
I’m also that crazy person that likes to pack AND unpack all in one day … I don’t know how or WHY I do it but it’s just something I’ve always done … lol … I don’t actually recommend this though because as you can imagine it’s freakin EXHAUSTING!!!
Another important thing to remember is, think about how you would like to receive a home. Leave it beautiful, leave it clean. As much as you can, scrub out every cupboard, corner, and window. Leave fresh flowers or your favourite bottle of wine for the new homeowners. Remember, this process is stressful for someone else too, they’re moving as well and what a beautiful way to pay it forward by leaving LOVE in your home.
There you have it!! I hope if you have an upcoming move that you can put some of these tips to use!! Also, for those of you who have had their fair share of moves and have some pro tips to add, make sure to share them in the comments section below!!