I stole/borrowed this recipe from my amazing cousin Tori a while back and decided to revive it, switch it up a little and add some ham! Sooo delish, especially with soup or chili! I know it doesn’texactly follow my super healthy eating track record, BUT I think that everybody’s entitled to a little cheat day every now and then 😉
The fantastic thing about these scones is that there is SO much room to be creative, kind of like with myOvernight Oats from last week’s Food Friday. You can swap out the cheddar & ham and pretty much throw in anything and everything: chocolate chips, cherries, blueberries, bacon, gruyere, currants, parsley, etc…I also did some research and you can substitute the flour for gluten free flour (King Arthur Gluten Free Flour was recommended). Really, these babies are so versatile that you can’t go wrong!
Recipe & Ingredients
Prep time: 15 minutes
Bake time: 10 minutes
1/3 cup cold butter, cut into pieces
1/2 to 3/4 cup milk
2 cups flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup grated cheddar
*add in as much ham as you want!
1. Preheat oven to 450F
2. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together in a bowl
3. Crack an egg in a glass measuring cup and mix with a fork
4. Add milk to the glass measuring cup until the 3/4 cup mark
5. Mix in the butter with the flour mixture using your hands until the butter is the size of peas. Keep the butter cold!
6. If using the cheddar, mix it in to the dry mixture
7. Pour in the milk and egg mixture and stir with a fork just till it sticks together. Add a bit more milk if it’s still too powdery (do NOT over mix).
8. Dump out onto a lightly floured counter, press together gently, and cut into around 6 pieces. Place on greased cookie sheet and bake around 15 minutes till done.