Happy FREAKY FOOD FRIDAY everyone!!! I can’t believe it’s already the WEEK before Halloween!!!! How exciting…one of my favorite times of year!!! HUGE thanks to my always so inspirational bella Tori for mastering the Halloween menu this year…JUST for you!! She has created the SPOOKIEST and YUMMIEST treats for you to share… just in time for Halloween!!! You can thank her later…;)
1. Preheat the oven to 350F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Divide the bread dough into 1/4 cup portions (doesn’t have to be precise).
3. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a long round snake-like shape using your fingers on the surface. Keep one end slightly larger, and taper the other end to a thinner point (the large end will be the head, the tapered end will be the tail).
4. Wind each ‘snake’ around an individual chopstick and place on the baking sheet so that the head is on the topside of the stick when placed on the sheet. Repeat with all snakes.
5. Place 2 peppercorns on the head of each snake to make the eyes, and sprinkle the parmesan cheese on the snakes evenly (and generously).
6. Bake for about 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
1/2 recipe Granny’s Buns or 1 package store-bought bread dough
2 tsp. olive oil
1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 block light or regular cream cheese
1/2 cup greek yogurt or sour cream
1/4 cup light or regular mayonnaise
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 package frozen spinach, thawed and drained
1 can of artichoke hearts, drained and coarsely chopped
1/2 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350F
2. In a small saucepan heat olive oil over medium heat: add onion and garlic and cook just until transparent, about 3 minutes (do not brown the garlic). Remove from heat and cool slightly.
3. In a medium bowl, combine the onion/garlic mixture, cream cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise and lemon juice. Using an electric mixer, blend until smooth. Stir in the spinach, artichoke hearts, cheese and salt and pepper until combined.
4. Place the mixture in an oven-proof casserole dish and bake, uncovered, until it is hot and bubbles around the sides, about 20-30 minutes. Serve warm as a dip with the bones (can also serve with tortilla chips).
1. Preheat the oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Divide the dough into small 2″ balls (approximately a golf ball size).
3. Using your hands on a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a log approximately the thickness of a finger and about 4″ long.
4. Tie a knot around each end of the dough to form the end of the bone. Use your index finger as a ‘post’ to wrap the dough around, then tuck the end of the dough through the hole created when you pull your finger out.
5. Place on baking sheet and let the ‘bones’ sit to proof (slightly rise) for 15 minutes.
Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Mini Mummy Apple Pies
Pie Crust 2 large pies (You can use store bought, or if you are feeling ambitious I swear by the Joy of Cooking Pie Crust)
5-6 apples, cored, peeled and cut into small pieces (approximately 1/4″ x 1″)
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
pinch of salt
2 Tbsp. flour
1/4 cup. diced chilled butter
Plastic or candy eyes
1. Preheat the oven to 350F
2. Combine the apples, cinnamon, brown sugar, lemon juice, salt and flour in a medium bowl: stir until the apples are coated. Let sit for 15 minutes to allow the apples to soften.
3. Divide the apple mixture evenly among miniature pie dishes of your choice. The number of dishes will depend on their size, but you should get around 6-8 small pies out of the recipe depending on your dish size.
4. Distribute the diced butter evenly among the pies.
5. Roll out the pie crust on a floured surface to 1/4″ thickness. Using a sharp knife, cut the crust into strips (you may cut some of them in half as well depending on the size). In a random pattern, lay the strips of dough across each other to form a ‘mummy pattern’ over the apples, leaving room for the eyes. If you are using candy eyes, you can place the eyes on at this point and overlap the dough so it appears that the eyes are partially covered.
6. Trim the crust that is hanging over the edges, place on a cookie sheet, and bake the pies until the inside is bubbling and the crust is lightly browned, about 30 minutes. Once cooled, if you are using the plastic eyes, place where you would like to see the eyes, inserting slightly in or under the crust to give the impression that they are partially covered.
WHAT DO YOU THINK??? Are you as obsessed with Tori as I am?!? Make sure to check out her blog Fraiche Nutrition for more healthy recipe ideas…trust me…you won’t be dissapointed!!!!!
Hi!!! First of all, I want to send my LOVE and thanks for all the amazing messages regarding our new little addition! I’ve finally gotten around to writing Annie’s birth story as I’ve been “trying” to give myself enough downtime as possible (but you know me, I don’t “rest” much! LOL). Mackenzie just finished our […]
We ALL know that the way to ANYONE’S heart is through their stomach! Below I’m sharing SEVEN delicious recipes that you can whip up in no time to spoil YOUR loved ones this Valentine’s Day! There is a little somethin’ somethin’ for everyone below, for those who have a sweet tooth … for the carb lovers […]
7 Recipes to Spoil Your Loved Ones this Valentine’s Day
Overalls are the perfect summer staple for a cute and casual look! If you’ve been worried to try this look in the past, don’t let that stop you this summer! Overalls are by far one of my favourite items to wear in the summer … other than my breezy summer dresses, that is! If you […]
I’m so excited to announce that my brand new diffuser collaboration with Saje Wellness has officially LAUNCHED and is available for purchase (while quantities last)!! When I was designing this diffuser I knew I wanted to create something that looked like a piece of art as well as something that could fit into any decor, […]
The Jillian Harris x Saje Wellness Diffuser Collaboration is Here!
Aloha!!! Whenever I travel, I tend to get a ton of questions coming in on my social platforms so I thought I would round up a few questions that were most frequently asked and answer them here! PLUS, I took so many videos while we were in Hawaii that I also decided to share a vlog […]
12 Frequently Asked Questions about My Hawaiian Vacation
Our Home Tour Series is FINALLY wrapping up as we reveal our LAST (but certainly not least!) room of the house! This room was left until last as it was originally our guest room and then we transformed it into Annie’s Nursery!!! When Justin and I found out we were having a baby girl I […]
I’m one of those people who, for the LONGEST time, didn’t really care about going to more natural products for my body, because, well … I’m kind of reckless like that! LOL! C’mon, I was one of those girls who used to drink a 2 litre of wildberry cooler when I was 19!!! LOL!! However, it […]
I Finally Made the Switch to Natural Deodorant: Here’s What I Learned!
WELCOME, everyone! First off, I’m so glad you’re here and I can’t wait for you to take a cruise around my new website! The girls and I started discussing a brand new website about 2 years ago now! Over those two years, we’ve sent countless emails back and forth, had multiple phone calls and discussions. We […]