When I was in Austria recently visiting Sammy, one of our favourite things to do was go to the Christmas Markets and get a hot mug (or a few!!) of Glühwein … AKA Mulled Wine!! So, when I came back home from my trip I definitely had a hankerin’ for some good ‘ol Glühwein, so much so that I decided to whip my own up … I like to call it Glühwein with a Twist!!
Get your pen and paper out, because you’re going to want to head to the store and grab these ingredients and make yourself a cozy batch of this for the weekend!!
Glühwein with a Twist
Makes approx 4 mugs!
- 3/4 cup of water
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 10 cloves
- 10 peppercorns (or you can use Star Ani
- 1 large orange
- 1 large grapefruit
- 1 lemon
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- A bottle of red wine
- 1/2 cup of spiced rum
- Sugar for the rim of your mugs
- Cut your orange and grapefruit in half.
- Juice one half of each, your orange and your grapefruit.
- Insert the cloves into the other un-juiced half of your orange. Set aside.
- Peels your lemon into long twists.
- Add the sugar to the water and bring to a boil on the stove.
- Add the half an orange, with the cloves inserted in the peel into the pot.
- Add the peppercorns (or star anise), cinnamon sticks, orange juice and grapefruit juice, and lemon twists to the pot and allow to boil for a few minutes.
- Reduce the heat and pour in a bottle of wine and 1/2 cup of spiced rum to the pot. Make SURE this doesn’t come to a boil because then your alcohol will burn off!!
- Allow this mixture to gently simmer for a couple of minutes so the flavours have a chance to combine.
- Remove from heat, strain into a clean pot.
- Sugar the rim of your mugs.
- Divide the warm Glühwein with a Twist up between your mugs.
- Serve with a cinnamon stick or a slice of orange and enjoy!
I can’t wait for you to try this!! When you do, let me know what you think in the comments below!!