Cravings are a real thing that women do experience and even more so when you’re pregnant. Personally, I haven’t really had any that stand out, I have just continued to eat the way I normally do and I feel extremely lucky because of that!!! One of the things that I have been reading about that women tend to complain about the most is losing the baby weight after the babe is born. I have read so many blogs and seen so many conversations about how to get your body back. So many women (not all women) think that since they’re pregnant they can eat whatever they want, when they want, and however much they want. To me, it doesn’t really work that way, I want to eat as healthy as possible not only for me but also for the bean growing inside of me. I want to be mentally and physically prepared to take care of this babe and I don’t want to be feeling self-conscious about my weight or taking away any time from being a great mom. It’s not all about physical appearance, it’s about fuelling your body with the best nutrients that you possibly can … this is the most important time to be healthy.
When I have been feeling like I want to indulge and have unhealthy cravings, I really think hard about what I can substitute them for instead. I’ve been approaching cravings completely differently than most pregnant women. I’m not sure if it has something to do with my plant based diet or because of it I have been drawn towards healthier options??? Either way, I have been feeling great with my healthier perspective on snacking and I wanted to share with you some of my favourite things to snack on …
1. Bananas: I have been eating so many bananas in so many different ways. I like them on toast, plain, dipped in chocolate and then frozen (get the recipe here), or simply with peanut butter. They are a great snack option for Mama’s on the go and easy to throw in your purse when you’re running out the door.
2. Nice Cream: With my recent switch to reducing my dairy intake I have been trying out different types of ice cream … sans the milk/dairy!!! It is SO easy to make your own and I love this recipe created by Erin Ireland on the blog last week. You can also check out some others that I want to try over on my Pinterest page.
3. “Healthy” Candy: I’m sure that most of you know by now how much I love candy. But not just any candy … it must be gelatin free (google gelatin and I promise you will never eat it again). Dare Candy Co has created REALFruit (Berries & Superfruit), REALSours, and REALJubes to be completely gelatin free and they taste AAAMAZING!!!! I seriously can’t get enough of the sours!!! Dare Candy is my go-to for candy that’s made with real fruit, and it includes some of my favourite flavours like black and red jubes (peanut free and gluten free). Obviously, I can’t eat an entire bag in one sitting … but I don’t feel as guilty since I’m making a healthier decision.
4. Coconut Yogurt: Every day after lunch I crave something sweet. When most are eating chocolate bars or snacking on something a little bit unhealthy …. I crave coconut yogurt. If you haven’t tried it you MUST!!!! I like to mix it with raspberries and granola and it kicks those sweet cravings in the butt.
5. Chocolate: When I’m really indulging and need to kick my sweet cravings I opt for chocolate. But not regular chocolate, I go for dairy free chocolate and it’s normally made with nut milk or coconut milk and in my opinion, it tastes better and is a lot healthier for you all at the same time!!! Once again, you won’t feel as bad indulging since you’re making a conscious decision.
6. Fruit: Whenever I crave something sweet I try to start with eating fruit. This is normally a great option to cut the cravings down and tie you over for a while. If not … that’s when I start to reach for Dare Candy or chocolate ….
What type of pregnancy cravings do you have and how do YOU kick them in the butt?? Let me know in the comments below …