I love little canvas and burlap banners, in fact, I like to hang one above my kitchen sink for each holiday. I had one for Thanksgiving AND Christmas and this Valentine’s Day I really wanted to put one up but I couldn’t find one I liked so we made one!!! This was by far the quickest and easiest DIY we’ve done so far! My original plan was to purchase thick burlap and cut it into little triangles to make the banner BUT Mindy ended up finding a pre-made canvas banner at Michael’s so we just used that instead!!
If DIY’s aren’t your thing, here are a few banners that are very similar and reasonably priced!!
Alright, let’s get to it!!
What You’ll Need
- Premade Burlap or Canvas Banner (Or you can make your own!)
- Acrylic Paint (Any colour you like!)
- Construction Paper
- Exacto Knife
- Paint Brush
- 3M Hooks
- Start by drawing out your heart on a piece of construction paper, the heart can be any size or shape you like!
- Once you’re happy with your heart, cut it out of your construction paper using your Exacto knife.
- Mix up your paint! You can use any colour you like but we wanted a coral pink so we mixed red, pink, and a little bit of yellow paint together until we got the exact colour we loved!
- Place your heart template over one of the triangular flags on your banner, we made sure ours was as centered as possible.
- When you’ve got your proper placement, dip the paint brush in the paint but try not to get too much paint on your brush, you want to lightly layer on the paint, you can add more if you like your hearts to be darker.
- Move on to the next flag and repeat until every flag has a heart on it!
- Let dry.
- Hang the banner on your 3M hooks anywhere you like!
- If you notice your premade banner isn’t long enough, cut a long piece of jute and transfer the flags onto it.
- If you have a heart shaped item in your house, use it to trace your template onto your construction paper!
How freakin EASY is that?!?! Are you going to give it a try??