Hi loves! Tori from Fraiche Nutrition here! Today I’m sharing a delicious Vegan Heart Cake Donut recipe with you! These donuts are a complete indulgence and will take you back to days at the fair eating warm mini donuts out of those adorable bags. You can bake these, but to be honest, if I’m going to have a donut I want the real thing! Perfectly spiced with warm nutmeg and cinnamon, these are like a warm hug and are such a fun treat to serve for Valentine’s Day! Or GALentine’s Day! Truth be told you can’t even tell that they are vegan …
- 2 ½-3 c. flour
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/3 c. sugar
- 1 tsp. each cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 c. vanilla soy milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ½ c. melted vegan margarine
- 1 egg, beaten or 1 chia egg-replacer*
- oil for frying
- ½ c. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. cinnamon
*combine 1 Tbsp. ground white chia seeds with 3 Tbsp. water
1. In a large bowl combine 2 ½ cups of the flour, baking powder, salt, 1/3 cup sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Make a well in the center and add the soy milk, melted margarine, and egg or chia egg.
2.Mix together with a fork to combine, adding more flour as needed to make a dough that doesn’t stick to your hands but is still soft.
3. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for one hour.
4. Heat a pot of oil (or a deep fryer) to 370 F (185 C). Combine the remaining ½ c. sugar and 1 Tbsp. cinnamon in a shallow dish.
5. Roll the dough out on a floured surface with a rolling pin to ½” thickness, cut into heart shapes and cook in oil on both sides until golden brown. You can re-roll the dough with the scraps once (it will get too tough after the first re-roll).
6. Once done, remove the cooked donuts from the oil using a slotted spoon and place them on a plate lined with paper towel or a cooling rack. Lightly roll the donuts in the sugar and cinnamon mixture and serve.
Enjoy and have a sweet day my loves!!