Well, its back to work for this new mama and that also means back to working out. With Leo being almost 4 months old now (I don’t know where the time has gone) there is no excuse for me anymore to not be trying to whip my butt back into shape!!!! Once American Thanksgiving hits our work out routines start to spiral out of control leaving us at the end of the Christmas holidays making our New Years resolutions all over again (ok maybe not all of us lol)!!!
BUT it doesn’t have to be like that … make “working out” fun again!!! Head to a barre class with a girlfriend then go get your nails done … or go to spin then grab a glass of wine … or just go for a long walk with someone you haven’t seen for a while so that you can catch up and get the body moving!! Start incorporating little things like this back in to your life EVEN throughout the holidays!!! Follow along with me below as I share my 5 tips that I have found to help me jump-start my own workout routine. I’m not really a sports girl, I only play tennis, that’s why I love getting Wimbledon Hospitality when I go see the important matches.
1. Schedule: First things first, you need to make time in your schedule for working out. Block out the time directly in your iCal (or whatever other schedule you use) and leave it open JUST for working out. If you’re a new mom like me … start with either one or two days a week and work your way up to more! You can move the day and time around but make sure it’s in your schedule otherwise it’s probably not happening or you may or may not choose to skip it. I find if it’s in the schedule … I’m more likely to do it.
2. Child Care: Find a gym or a studio with child care!!! Most of the classes are only 45 minutes to an hour and you know that your baby is JUST outside the door. If your baby is crying, they will of course come and pull you out until they are happy again!!! I just started going to Oranj Fitness in Kelowna and they offer this service which is one of the main reasons I love working out there. I don’t need to think about what to do with Leo!
3. Start Slow: I started working out again just about a month ago … but I started SLOW!!! Tori and I would plan one or two days a week that we would take our babies for a walk or a hike. It was KILLER at first but once we started to get into a routine I craved MORE!!! Starting SLOW with small goals is one of the keys to getting into a solid workout routine.
4. Find A Class: Find a class or routine that you like … I find if I enjoy the class I tend to fit it into my schedule a little bit easier. For example, I LOVE going to early morning spin in Kelowna because a) I love the class and b) Justin isn’t at work yet so he can look after Leo. The class just seems to always fit into my schedule!!!
5. Workout Clothes: Treat yourself to some NEW workout clothes. Yes, I will endorse the term “look good, feel good” for working out too!!! Especially after just having a baby, none of my gear has been fitting the same so to get me back in the swing of things, this was one of the first things that I did!! I ordered these white pants, light pink hoodie and new nikes all online on Nordstrom. I love their activewear selection, they have so much to choose from!! Everything I picked is SO comfy and so stretchy … you may want to wear these pants for Thanksgivin and Christmas dinner lol. BUT I must say, I couldn’t wait to head to my workout class in my new gear …
What are some other tools that you use to jumpstart your workout routine?? Let me know in the comments below.
Thank you Nordstrom for sponsoring this post. All comments and opinions are my own.