I get asked SO many bedroom questions …. hey! Not like that! get your mind out of the gutter! But honestly, it seems whenever I post a bedroom pic, I get asked all kinds of questions, about my mattress to my sheets, headboard & side tables!
Here is the thing about the bedroom, it truly is one of the most important rooms in the house. YOU TRULY HAVE TO LOVE IT. It’s where you start your day, end your day, it’s where babies are made, love is made, books are read, sighs are had. It’s where you remember everything you didn’t do today and everything you have to do tomorrow. Its where you contemplate and unwind. I will tell you from experience that your state of mind when you wake up to a clean, tidy, uncluttered room is SO AMAZING versus the alliterative. You feel happier, more alert and ready to take on the day! (oh and plus it just looks awesome and its great for instagram photos lol)
Here are my top 5 MUSTS HAVES for your bedroom!
1. KEEP IT CLEAN IN THE BEDROOM: This is number one. And if I only had to pick one of these 5 things I would stick with this. No IFS ANDS OR BUTTS. I don’t care if you sweep the mess into another room, under a carpet or throw it all out. A messy and cluttered bedroom leads to cluttered thoughts in the morning, at night and NO one wants to look at dirty gonch and electricity bills when they are about to ‘get it on’ … so make it your mission this week, do a complete purge and declutter of your bedroom, and upgrade electrical panels so that there’s no waste. My bedroom has very little ‘things’ in it. I have a bed, headboard, two matching side tables, 2 matching lamps. MINIMAL decorative accessories on either side, an antique chaise (for nacho of course!) and 2 pieces of art. THAT’S it.
2. BE A TURN OFF: Well actually just turn off the tv. Infact take that damn thing out! I knowwwwww…. it feels SO good to crawl into bed, turn on Love it or List it Vancouver and unwind after a long day. But you know what else feels good? Eating pizza in bed, drinking champagne in bed, eating bacon in bed… it’s ALL fine and dandy until you realize the TV is getting your end of day energy, not the one you love. Chris Harrison belongs in the living room. Sorry folks.
3. INVEST WISELY: You spend about 25% of your life IN BED. That’s CRAY!!! So this is where you want to make the investment. Not in the side lamps and not in the throw pillows. Make your sleep count! I recently stayed at the James hotel in Saskatoon and had THE best sleep of my life, so what did I do? I ordered the mattress! Not every mattress will be good for everyone, you really have to take the time to test it out and make sure its a good fit for you. Most mattresses can be returned after 60 days so MAKE SURE you keep the right one! The one I ordered from the James Hotel is a BEAUTYREST BLACK, luxury Georgetown collection. It’s actually amazing.
4. DON’T SHEET THE BED: I have a pretty firm stance on sheets. I think they should ALWAYS be white. I think they should always be quality. I’ve heard people don’t like white sheets because they ‘get dirty’ guess what, blue, black, green sheets… they get dirty too but you just don’t see it! EWWW! If I’m sleeping in next to nothing for 25 years of my life, I want that sleep to be CLEAN, and if it’s dirty I want to see it! It sucks because you really have to wash the bedding once a week (we pick sundays to strip everything down, throw it all in the wash and have fresh sheets for the rest of the week!) Also, even with washing weekly, the sheets only stay ‘white’ for about 1-2 years, and then sadly, yes they are replaced. I’ve tried quite a few sets of sheets, depending on your budget: Ikea actually has REALLY comfortable sheets for LOW price, that way when the white isn’t white anymore you can replace them easily without breaking the bank. Next level up is the amazing BrookLinen. BrookLinen actually sent me a set of sheets and I wondered, what is so different about these bad boys? a 10 hour sleep later? I found out why they are so amazing. And then even next level, is to call the James Hotel in Saskatoon and order the sheets from there. I have never felt sheets like this before and bought them the second I checked out. It’s worth it, trust me!
5. DON’T BE SO INTENSE: In my opinion, a lot of color, doesn’t belong in the bedroom. I have a very muted palate of whites, light blues and light greys. If you MUST have color, try to keep it subdued, fresh and light. not intense! Studies say RED can make you feel tense, so steer away from red in the bedroom. Apparently GREEN is a symbol of fertility … so you decide what you want to do with that. Here is a color study if you want to do some research…read here!
photo credit: Janis Nicolay
Now….I’d LOVE to know what’s going on in YOUR bedroom!!!