Now that Love It or List It has wrapped filming Season 5 I have a LITTLE bit more time on my hands and one of my summer bucket list items (if you haven’t read that blog, take a look at it here!) was to spend more time with the kids! While most of our summer days are spent poolside or getting our hands dirty in the garden, I’m always looking for new and fun ways to keep them entertained!
I recently came across the cutest idea of an Egg Carton Picnic and with Annie’s love for solid foods and Leo’s love of variety (he likes options when it comes to his meals! LOL) … and candy. ? I knew this would be the perfect lunchtime activity for us on a sunny Okanagan day!
This is such a fun and easy way to get the kiddos to do a little crafting and would make for the perfect activity at a birthday party! All you have to do is save up your egg cartons, pick up your kids all-time favourite snacks and treats and load those cartons up! It’s like a charcuterie board for kids! They LOVE having so many of their favourite snacks and treats in front of them and to pick and choose what they eat next.
What You’ll Need
- One egg carton per child
- Parchment paper
- Your kids all-time favourite snacks and treats
- Optional: Construction paper, markers, glue, stickers, stamps, tape, etc. (This is only if you want to dress up the egg carton and list what is included for snacks and treats!).
- Cut out small squares of parchment paper just big enough to line the inside of each pocket.
- Once the parchment paper is lining each of the pockets in the egg carton, start filling each hole with your child’s favourite snacks and/or treats (I’ve listed some of our favourites below for inspo!).
- Once the entire egg carton is filled with snacks you’re good to go! Close that baby up, lay down a picnic blanket and let the kids go nuts! LOL!
- Feel free to dress the egg carton up with stickers, stamps, drawings, anything you feel like! Get creative or better yet, have your kiddo decorate their own carton prior to filling it up with their snacks – it’ll make them love it even MORE!
- For a special touch, write a little love note for each kiddo, roll it up, and place it in one of the pockets!
Leo & Annie’s Favourite Snacks
- Smoked Tofu
- Vegan Cheese
- Cheese Crackers
- Animal Crackers
- Dried Fruit
- Baby Carrots
- Fruit Loops
- Candy (totally optional!)
There you have it! I hope you’re able to spend some quality time with your kiddos this summer over an egg carton picnic! Heck, you might as well whip one up for yourself too while you’re at it and don’t forget the glass of wine to help everything go down! ?