Hi everyone! It’s Bailey here from Basics with Bails with another delicious recipe! It’s finally starting to feel like summertime!! What better way to celebrate than with a Pretty Peach Tart, right?
On Monday, in my Okanagan Cherry Vanilla Overnight Oats blog post, I talked about the benefits of buying fruits and veggies in season. With peach season right around the corner, I thought I would get ahead of the game and whip up something that will leave you (and your guests!) s(PEACH)less. ? If you can get your hands on some amazing juicy Okanagan peaches, and you’re craving something delicious and sweet, you should definitely try making this amazing dessert!
The crust is made with almond and oat flour, making it gluten-free! This tart base is perfect for all kinds of recipes! Tarts are traditionally made with pie crust, but they are A LOT more work. This crust is mixed together and then pressed into a tart tin. EASY PEASY.
When making the crust, make sure to poke holes into the bottom of the crust with a fork. When you remove the crust from the oven it may bubble up slightly with air, I use the bottom of a glass to push it down and make sure everything is even and flat.
The filling contains coconut milk, almond milk, and fresh, juicy peaches, making it vegan and extra creamy. The texture is achieved using coconut cream, cornstarch, and agar agar. Agar agar is a vegan substitution for gelatin and is made from algae! I buy mine from Amazon, check it out here!
You can find full-fat canned coconut milk in the Oriental section of the grocery store (I buy the Thai Kitchen brand). I have tried many different brands of coconut milk and this one is the highest quality I’ve found!
One slice of this peach tart is relatively filling due to the healthy fats and protein from the almond flour and the coconut milk. This recipe is very easy to make but is slightly more tedious. However, it is WELL worth it if you’ve got a little extra time on your hands!
The biggest piece of advice I can give you for this recipe is to get yourself a tart pan with a removable bottom. It was a piece of cake to get this out of the pan once it was finished, but without that removable bottom, it would have definitely been a two-person job.
The best part about this tart is you can prepare everything the night before, toss it in the refrigerator overnight, and it’s ready to go the next day! Make sure you leave it to set overnight, otherwise it may not come out in a solid form. It’s a gorgeous dessert that’s perfect for a fancy night when you have friends over or a great dish to bring to your next BBQ. Get creative decorating with toppings! You can add peach slices, more fresh fruit, almond slivers, hemp hearts, etc! I can guarantee this will impress all your guests, and nobody will notice that this is vegan and gluten-free!
- 3 cups oat flour
- 1 cup almond flour
- 10 pitted dates, soaked
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 6 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp pink salt
- 1 cup coconut milk, full fat
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 4 peaches, pitted
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp agar agar (if you’re not vegan you can replace this with gelatin)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Soak dates in hot water.
- In a food processor, combine oat flour and almond flour (if you do not have oat flour you can simply blend oats in food processor prior to adding almond flour till it becomes fine).
- Add the maple syrup, melted coconut oil, soaked dates, pink salt, and blend until the dough becomes sticky and combined.
- Press the dough into the lightly greased tart tin.
- Poke holes into the bottom of the crust with a fork.
- Bake for 9-12 minutes.
- Remove and let cool.
- Place all ingredients besides corn starch and agar agar in a high powered blender and blend until well combined.
- Add mixture to saucepan and add cornstarch and agar agar and bring to a brief boil, stirring continuously.
- Pour into a bowl and let cool to room temperature.
- Pour the filling into the crust and place in refrigerator overnight to set.
- Top with fresh fruit, hemp hearts, almond slices, or whatever you desire!