Today I’m sharing a recipe with you that actually has me sitting here drooling at the thought of it and my stomach starting to growl … when I came back from Mexico, Mackenzie was house sitting for me and she whipped this up for me so when I got home, all I had to do was pop it in the oven. Talk about spoiled, hey?? LOL!! Welp, ever since that day I’ve been freaking HOOKED on this meal and today I wanted to share this Vegan Butternut Squash Mac ‘N Cheese recipe with YOU because it’s WAY too tasty not to share!!
This is one of those recipes you can make ahead of time, pop in the fridge and toss it in the oven when you get home from a busy day … you’ll be counting down the hours until you can dig into it at home, trust me. LOL! It’s the ultimate vegan comfort food and a meal the WHOLE family will enjoy!! Leo can’t get enough of it … I’m obsessed, Justin devours it and Nacho (im)patiently waits for his share to “accidentally” drop on the floor … here’s looking at YOU, Leo. LOL!!
Alright, let’s get to this because I know some of you will want to make this right after work tonight!!
Vegan Butternut Squash Mac ‘N Cheese
- 1 large butternut squash
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 cup unsweetened cashew milk (or almond milk)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 10 ounces cooked short pasta of choice
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 3 tbsp Italian herbs
- Preheat oven to 425 and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut butternut squash lengthwise and brush with olive oil and salt & pepper.
- Place squash cut side down on parchment, and roast for 45 minutes or until tender and cooked. Let cool for 10 minutes before handling.
- Scoop the flesh out of the squash and place in a blender along with all of the sauce ingredients. Blend on high for 2 minutes or until thick and creamy. If your sauce is not blending add more milk.
- Heat a small skillet over medium heat and add vegan butter. Add the panko crumbs and Italian seasoning and cook until browned and fragrant. Remove from heat.
- Place drained and cooked pasta back into a large pot, and add sauce. Warm the pasta and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve in bowls with a healthy serving of toasted breadcrumbs on top. ENJOY!!!
Let me know if you end up giving this a try … I can promise it’ll be a new household fave if you do!!